The Best Vegan and Vegetarian Food on Campus
BY DUSTIN STRONG AND MAC WALBY
The food on campus can be hard to navigate, especially if you happen to be one of those picky vegans or vegetarians. Well, we here at Dig Mag (actually, two of us) are looking out for those who just want to be able to find an easy, healthy meal on a campus chock-full of terribly unhealthy options (I’m looking at you, USU food court.) We went on a hunt throughout school to find you vegheads some of the best vegan/vegetarian delectables you can spend your well-earned money on.
V = Vegan
VEG = Vegetarian
The Nugget - The best part about having our very own pub on campus is the opportunity to down a beer, watch a sports game and enjoy a fine plant-based meal with all your meat-eating classmates. Here are a few choice options when dining at The Nugget:
- Pete’s Vegan Burrito - beans, pico de gallo, roasted bell peppers and onions. Don’t forget that guacamole! V
- Ultimate Veggie Sandwich - pesto sauce, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, roasted red bell pepper and avocado. VEG
- Mushroom Pesto Flatbread - pesto sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms, and garlic. VEG
- Garden Burger - veggie patty, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and house-made thousand island dressing. VEG
Beach Walk - Located in the food court next to The Nugget, Beach Walk has a bunch of options for the easygoing bowl or wrap afficionado. Most of the options are health-conscious and easy on-the-go meals.
- Avocado Bowl - brown rice, black beans, cilantro, cucumber, tomato, onion, herb vinaigrette and avocado. V
- Veggie Bagel - lettuce, tomato, feta cheese, red onions, cucumber, sliced black olives, alfalfa sprouts and sour cream dill. VEG
- Other options are the Grain Wrap and Grain Bowl - brown rice, black beans, cucumber, onions, cilantro and herb vinaigrette. V
OPA - The Greek and Mediterranean place in the corner of the food court you never thought to go to till now serves falafel, a personal favorite and super-healthy option for any vegan or vegetarian eater.
- Falafel Bowl - falafel, tomato, cucumbers, onion, olives, with hummus and pita bread. Mixed green salad tossed in Greek dressing. Served with rice, quinoa (healthy option) and fries. V
- Vegan Salad - Romaine, hummus dressing, grape tomato, cucumber, radish and onions. V
- Veggie Pita Pizza - pita bread, spicy feta sauce, red onions, tomatoes, parsley, Kalamata olives and feta cheese. VEG
Outpost - The low-key pub at the very corner of campus is stocked with options for the healthy-minded. It’s a favorite when we feel like getting away from the madness in the food court and USU.
Garden Burger - veggie patty, thousand island dressing, lettuce, tomato, red onions and pickles. VEG
Three-Grain Garden Burger - corn, black bean & roasted pepper patty with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and tarragon sauce. VEG
Veggie Dog - with mustard and onions. VEG